Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What's on the Menu...

As usual, work has been insane. This humorous article on Why Your Used Book Store Clerk Hates You only scratches the surface of why I REALLY have some rough days at work sometimes. Among the non-mentioned is that you would assume that people coming into book stores could read - read signs, read price tags, read signs saying what is down what aisle.... But Alas, A surprising number of customers who seem to be shopping at my book store are merely buying for pretense because it is QUITE CLEAR that they are illiterate and dumb and GOD FORBID we move something in the store because using your EYES to look ten feet is more effort than you can put in. We know, we know.

But my days aren't filled entirely with wacky customers and their inane questions...they're also filled with the fun of unpacking and shelving and ordering books. And that's the part I love. However, sometimes I need a break. And next week is going to be a nice 40-ish hour week where I get out early enough to cook dinner not just once but FOUR NIGHTS next week! That feels nearly impossible right now, but it is written (so it shall be done).

Indeed my shopping list and menu for the week are created and ready for the hated trip to the grocery store tomorrow. At work I picked up yet another cookbook. I'm always telling myself I won't buy more cookbooks but how can I resist Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook with great photos and information on canning and preserving and all kinds of helpful cooking tips for just $1.50! The answer is that I can't. And that's why it's on my kitchen table!

So here's what is on my menu for the week:

Monday: Fettuccine with Vegetables and Prosciutto - Looks simple and delicious! Involves asparagus and Roma tomatoes.
Tuesday: Rosemary Porkchop Skillet - Finally an interesting way to use that butternut squash on my counter....and to use some rosemary from my garden!
Wednesday: Out to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant.
Thursday: Pork with Fennel and Pancetta - Aj is making this... supposed to be quick and easy, but I have to figure out a way to cut down on the fat.
Friday: Spinach and Feta Quiche - It's been a while since we had this and it makes great leftovers for work on Saturday.

I will hopefully also have time to post the successful recipes! Tomorrow is either salt-crusted grilled trout, or trout amandine. Also let it be known that amandine should not be so close to almondine since it involves almonds it is wholly confusing. Those damn French.

No comments:

Post a Comment