Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Salad


So the time has come (the walrus said) to go back to eating healthier. I've been carried away these past few months with things that are just not good for me. Casseroles and pastas with heavy cream and loads of cheese, loads of oils and butters too. Until a week ago I hadn't even been to the gym in 5 months! That's pretty bad. And I'm not typically one to call myself fat or be down on my eating choices but my clothes are getting a lot tighter and I could use the health-boost of eating right.

That being said I've got myself on a 5 meal a day routine. You're laughing I know BUT I think most of our problems come from eating 1) the wrong foods 2) too much of the wrong foods 3) too often. I always snack. Always munching on something or other. I think as a culture we can get to a fine line between boredom and hunger, which is just twisted. SO I've got myself eating breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, and dinner. And I think that's just fine.

One of the foods I came up with for my lunches is a buffalo chicken salad. I haven't seen a buffalo chicken salad that isn't fried and drenched in bleu cheese dressing ...which is disturbing. So I made my own version. It's pretty tasty and not too spicy for my sensibilities. Easy to pack in the morning. Easy to eat. Healthy.


But before I give you the recipe I'd like to post a few other recipes that I made today that I discovered on this amazing new website that my cousin sent me called foodgawker- Their tagline is "Feed your eyes" and for anyone who loves beautiful photos of delicious food, prepare to be overwhelmed and in love! This website completed my life (OK so maybe that's a little dramatic, but it definitely is awesome.)

Here's what I made today:
  • Asian Glazed Drumsticks - This recipe was great! The cook time was longer than it said but I think that's because I used a dutch oven instead of a large saucepan. Chicken was nicely spicy and really flavorful. You've gotta have rice with this!
  • Chocolate Pudding Cookies with Mini Robin's Eggs - I know I just said I was on a diet but I just fell in love with these when I saw them - and when Aj asked me to get some "keebler knockoffs of girl scout cookies" at the grocery store I thought "I can do better than that." and decided to make these. I ate two of them and boy are they YUMMY! Tell you what though, there is no "Chopping" those hard-shelled robin's eggs...more like smashing with the flat of your knife. You don't know how many of those little punks rolled onto the floor as I tried to chop them up.
  • Pineapple Bliss Cupcakes - Mostly I just thought it was amazing that you could mix a can of pineapple and a box of cake mix and it turns into delicious muffins. Awesome. These are SO good. I didn't use any frosting. Just ate them straight. Best part? Low in calories and fat with no frosting! YUMMMMM.
I also made a fresh batch of Pico de Gallo and grabbed some Crystal Light Lemonade mix at the grocery and put some limes and mildly crushed mint into my cup....Amazing.

Well without further ado...
Buffalo Chicken Salad

  • 1 Rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat chopped/shredded
  • 1/4 C. diced red onion
  • 1 C. diced celery stalks
  • 1 Tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 Tsp. Paprika
  • 1/4 C. Frank's Red Hot sauce
  • 2-4 Tbsp. mayo depending on tastes
  • Leafy lettuce and romaine lettuce, torn into edible size pieces
  1. Mix the first 7 ingredients
  2. Top the lettuce mixture with 1/2 cup of chicken mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment