Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Recipe From Mom

UPDATE: Southerners use Hellmann's mayo, but cut back on the lemon juice in this recipe by at least half, since Hellmann's is a vinegary mayo and Cain's is a sweet mayo.

I've been WORKING WORKING WORKING. Last week was a 53 hour week for me. This week should be much more easy going and I'm more or less trapped inside because of the rain. So while Aj cooks his Shrimp With "The Best Shrimp Marinade Ever" I get a second to sit down and blog. The best part is that at the end I am rewarded with grilled shrimp. Sweet.

What I am really here for, though, is to give you a recipe that was my favorite childhood recipe: Chicken Devan. This was the recipe that I asked for when I got to choose dinner. For my birthday, or just a regular weeknight, almost any time I was asked this is what I wanted. And when I moved away to college I kept trying to make it. It just wasn't as good. I went back home and found the old cookbook my mom got the recipe from - it was one of those community cookbooks - a tatty old spiral thing. And I kept making it...but it was never as good as hers. When I moved to New England it started getting worse- almost inedible. I just could NOT figure it out. Finally I had to call my mom and confer with her. Why was it turning out so terrible?! The secret is the mayonnaise.

In the south there is a mayo that my mom uses that you can't get up here (or it is harder to find but I forget the name). Turns out, not all mayonnaise is equal. Miracle Whip is practically a sin against nature. And name brands don't compare. It took me AGES to find the comparable Northern mayo. Turns out it's Cain's mayonnaise. Mayo needs the perfect blind of tang and sweet, and of course it needs to be made with real eggs and oils. So after YEARS (literally) of trying to get this recipe JUST RIGHT....I finally did it. Now it's back on my favorites list and a recipe I would be happy to pass on to family and friends. It's creamy, delicious, easy to make, and just the smell of it makes me happy.

There's one more perk to this recipe: The leftovers are just about better than the dish out of the oven!

It is VITAL that NO ingredients are left out of this or it won't be anywhere near as good.



Chicken Devan

  • 3 Chicken breasts - boiled and cubed in small bite-size pieces
  • 1 Bag frozen broccoli - cooked/drained
  • 1 Can cream of chicken soup (don't skimp, go Campbell's)
  • 1 Tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 Tsp. salt
  • 1/4 C. Cain's mayonnaise
  • Dash cumin
  • 1/4 C. Italian Breadcrumbs
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1/4 C. Shredded cheese (Cheddar or another melty/savory cheese)
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F
  2. Layer chicken and broccoli in a 9x9 baking dish
  3. Cover with sauce, spreading it around as needed
  4. Sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese
  5. Mix butter and breadcrumbs together in a small bowl.
  6. Sprinkle all breadcrumbs on top and then sprinkle with the remainder of cheese.
  7. Bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment