Friday, March 11, 2011

Who's Bringing the Shrimp?

Have you ever thought about shrimp...I mean REALLY thought about shrimp. Where they're from and what they eat and do? It's kinda gross, really. They crawl around all day eating fish poop. I'll tell you what though...they are DELICIOUS. Just goes to show that the phrase "you are what you eat" is a load of crap (haha..pun intended!).

I asked Aj to cook me a nice dinner this week. He agreed and kept it a surprise until I got home. When I got home he was hard at work cooking up a storm ...and it sure looked good! He kept being self depreciating and telling me he wasn't sure it would be good, etc...etc. He was making shrimp skewers with sauteed asparagus and mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes came from a box...(We're huge fans of Yukon Gold which we think taste like KFC mashed potatoes...but they discontinued them and that was our last box.) The asparagus and the shrimp were freshly seasoned and cooked, though. When we finally sat down to eat and I tasted my first bite of asparagus....MAN! It was gooooooood!

Aj was excited that it tasted so yummy and mentioned something about cooking more (Can I get that in writing, please?). He even said that he looked up a shrimp marinade and made some changes to it to make it his own...Very impressive! It was quite possibly some of the best shrimp I've ever had. So I've decided to do another guest recipe so you can all taste the deliciousness of this shrimp!

If you're wondering how we grilled these in the middle of winter...we have a Japanese little stovetop grill and a single-eye gas range that we use for table-top cooking. Whatever method you come up with for grilling these...I'm sure it will taste yummy.

The Best Shrimp Marinade Ever
  • 2 Lbs. raw peeled, de-veined shrimp
  • 1 Large clove of garlic, finely minced
  • 1 Tbsp. coarse salt
  • Pinch of cayenne
  • 1 Tsp. paprika
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tsp. lemon juice
Mix everything but the shrimp together in a bowl. Skewer the shrimp 5 to a stick. Evenly and liberally coat the shrimp. Grill 2-3 minutes on each side or until the shrimp are opaque.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. " Just goes to show that the phrase "you are what you eat" is a load of crap (haha..pun intended!). " Funny!

    ReplyDelete