Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Light Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


So I know it's been a while since I blogged. Yes yes, a long while. I know. There has been a lot going on with the holidays (and a decent amount of baking!) and Aj and I just got back from a visit home to see my family in Mississippi. We had lovely southern foods and when we left, the airport smelled like bacon. The south is a good place to eat! But all that for another time. It's kind of late, and I want to get to the gist of the post: Light Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins! Yum!

How can the words Chocolate Chip and Light (with the low fat connotation) be in the same sentence? See, I have this great banana nut bread recipe. And I can do almost anything to it and it still is moist and amazing. When we got back from the airport there were two mostly black bananas sitting in my fruit bowl. I am not a banana person. I don't eat them. I don't even like the smell of them. But for some reason I DO like banana nut bread! So I thought I'd whip up a batch since I have not only a Kitchenaid (last Christmas!) but also a Dishwasher (this Christmas!) --- how nice to not even have to do your own dishes. Ah, it's like the space age.

Anyway I had the bananas, and some chocolate chips left over from a batch of holiday cookies that I tossed in at the last minute. (The chocolate chips, not the cookies. That would make for an interesting muffin... Eck.) These muffins only have 132 calories each, with just 3 grams of fat and 3 grams of protein! They would be a perfect pair with your morning coffee and some fresh fruit for a really good breakfast. The best part is they taste like they shouldn't be low fat or low calorie at all!

Well, without further ado...

Light Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

  • 2 Overripe bananas
  • 1 1/4 C. Flour
  • 3 Egg Whites
  • 1/2 C. Splenda for baking
  • 1/2 C. White sugar
  • 1/2 C. Cinnamon apple sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
  • 1/4 C. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 Tsp. Baking soda
  • 1/2 Tsp. Salt
  • Healthy sprinkling of All Spice
  1. Combine all ingredients and mix until well blended. Small chunks of banana are OK.
  2. In a muffin tin, insert 12 muffin cups (I spray my muffin liners with non-stick spray with great results). Distribute batter evenly in muffin cups.
  3. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes at 350°F or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment